Caramel pudding or Flan
My mom used to make this for me. This is one of the simplest yet exclusive looking deserts that is sure to wow anyone.
|4||Tablespoon||sugar for caramel|
To make the caramel
- Coat the pan in which you are going to bake or in my case I am using a double boiler with sugar.
- On a low flame hold the pan with a cloth and keep moving it on the flame till it begins to caramalize. Once a golden color is formed remove from heat and let it cool.
To make the custard:
- Beat eggs in a bowl
- Heat milk in a saucepan and bring it to boil. Add sugar to milk.
- In another bowl mix custard powder with a table spoon of boiling milk such that the powder dissolves in the milk and forms a paste. Add this gradually to the boiling milk whiplike whisking all the way such that it dissolves in the milk. This thickens the milk a little without adding fat.
- Let the milk cool down and temper the eggs by adding a little milk and custard mixture to it while stirring. Gradually add the entire milk and custard mixture and whisk for a minute.
Add the custard mixture to the cooled baking dish which is coated with caramel. Bake in a double boiler.
To create a double boiler simply take another vessel bigger than the your baking dish and add about 1/4 of the vessel approximately with water. Put your baking dish in it and cover it such that a little opening is left open. for the steam to go by. On a medium flame cook it for 15 minutes. To know if it is done, insert a knife or a toothpick into it and it should come out clean.
This can be prepared in oven as well by putting it in a water bath and baking at 325F for 15 minutes.
Caramel can be prepared by adding some water to sugar and then once a light golden color is achieved transfer it with a spoon in small ramikins and bake in those ramikins for individual size portions.